CatalogLinksYouthAboutHome

Tilton Library was established in 1915 with funds bequeathed by Chauncey B. Tilton, a local grocer, and by municipal and private contributions. In the late twentieth century, Tilton Library merged with Old Deerfield’s Dickinson Library to become the town of Deerfield’s public library.


Description and History

In 1871 the Village Library Association was established by a group of South Deerfield citizens. Books, which could be borrowed for an annual fee of one dollar, were housed in a small room on the upper floor of a private building. In 1876 the collection was moved to a newly erected room in the Congregational Chapel, which is now home of Meeting House books. In 1893 voters elected to use public money to support the library and the name was changed to South Deerfield Village Library. In 1906 the book collection was moved to the ground floor of Tilton’s Grocery Store, located between the church and the present Tilton Library site. In May 1900, Mr. Tilton died and left money to create a home for the aged. After the needs of his family were met, estate trustees appealed to the Supreme Court of Massachusetts to change the purpose of the will. The court ruled that money left for charitable purposes could be used for literary or educational purposes. Tilton Library was dedicated on November 15, 1916. The upper floor of the brick and white marble building served as the town library and the lower level was used as a town assembly room.

In 1982, with a town appropriation and the labor and donations of citizens, the lower level was converted to a children’s library. In 1997, a handicapped accessible entrance and library office were added to the south side of the building. Public Internet access became available in 1998 and in July 2006, Tilton Library became a circulating member of the Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing (C/WMARS) consortium.

Today, in addition to books, Tilton Library offers museum passes for free admission to area museums, new DVDs, magazines, local newspapers, free high speed Internet access, wireless Internet spots, borrowing privileges from more than 150 other Central and Western Massachusetts libraries, children’s story time; book discussion groups, writing programs, a young adult collection, large print materials, digital books, music CDs, copier and fax machines, reference databases, readers’ advisory services, quiet reading areas, and summer and school year programs for all ages.

Staff

Sara Woodbury - Library Director
Julie Cavacco - Children's and Youth Services
Deborah McQuillan - Circulation and Interlibrary Loan Services
Ann Kurt - Circulation and Technical Services
Brenda Lynch - Circulation and Technical Services
Megan Tolpa - Library Assistant
Jess McQuillan - Library Assistant

Board of Trustees

Nancy Maynard - Chair
David Lamb - Vice Chair
Cynthia Pepyne - Secretary
Daniel Carmody
Elsie Kolakoski
Sharyn Paciorek
Elizabeth Schmitt
Midori Tabery
Satu Zoller

Friends

The Friends of Tilton Library is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to encourage and promote the enrichment and use of Tilton Library and to foster support for the Library in the community.

The Friends of Tilton regularly support our library with contributions to the following:

  • Museum passes for free and reduced rate admission to area museums
  • The Summer Reading Program
  • Monday Night Music
  • Deerfield Reads
  • Western Region Legislative Breakfast
  • Complimentary library coffee and tea
  • Author talks

We are able to carry out our mission through active membership. Please join us in planning our next event! Meetings are generally held on the 1st Monday of each month at 7 PM at the Library.

Join the Friends

Policies

Contact

Phone Numbers:

Phone: 413-665-4683
Fax: 413-665-9118

Email

tiltonlibrary@cwmars.org

Mailing Address:

Tilton Library
75 North Main Street
South Deerfield, MA  01373

 

Directions

Interstate 91 (from the south) map

1) take exit 24 to routes 5 and 10
2) turn right onto routes 5 and 10
3) continue straight through first set of lights
4) turn right at second lights onto Elm Street
5) turn left onto North Main Street at 4 way intersection
6) library is the fifth building on the left

Interstate 91 (from the north) map

1) take exit 25 to route 116
2) turn left on Conway Road/route 116
3) turn right at traffic lights/route 116 south
4) at next set of lights, turn right onto Elm Street
5) turn left onto North Main Street at 4-way intersection
6) library is the fifth building on the left

Route 116 (from the east) map

1) take 116 north toward Sunderland
2) continue through the lights and cross the Connecticut River
3) turn right at lights onto Sugarloaf Street
4) bear right at intersection
5) library is the fourth building on the left

   

Home | Catalog | Calendar | Links | Youth | About | Site Map

   

Powered by Dot.Inc - Web Design · Web Hosting · Web Marketing
Copyright © 2009 Tilton Library, All Rights Reserved